I have a confession to make: I had recorded this movie a very long time before I ever watched it. The title and description just didn't appeal to me - especially when I have about 50 other movies recorded to watch. A title like "Meet John Doe" just didn't stick out. But then one day, I remembered: this is a Frank Capra movie, and when has Frank Capra ever disappointed? Like never. (It's a Wonderful Life 1946, It Happened One Night 1934, You Can't Take it With You 1938, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 1939, Arsenic and Old Lace 1944, State of the Union 1948, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town 1936) ...No, I cannot say Capra has ever disappointed.
And in fact, I would even say watching a Frank Capra movie is like that first sip of a perfect cup of hot tea. It just fills the soul with joy and comfort. I'll just let that statement breath a bit, because I really mean it.
Barbara Stanwyck plays newspaper reporter, Ann Mitchell who is asked to write one more article for her floundering newspaper before she is laid off. She's asked to right something more sensational than her previous articles, and Ann does so by creating a letter written by the fictional John Doe - a man who has pledged to committing suicide on Christmas Eve as a protest to today's society. After the article is published, a circus of homeless men claiming to be the real John Doe arrive at the newspaper office. In the meantime, the sensational article has also caught the attention of a rival paper who claims the letter is fraudulent. Which gives Ann and her editor - now forced to hire her back - an idea. They interview the thong of John Doe wannabes to find the man that could play their John Doe. Enter the John Willoughby, played expertly by the gruff but quiet and unassuming Gary Cooper.
John is paid, given new clothes, and he and his fellow homeless friend, "The Colonel" are set up in a plush hotel. John must be hidden until he's ready and trained to become John Doe so he may give his speech on radio, to discuss all the wrongs of the current world. The Colonel provides dry comedic relief during heavier scenes, as the themes of society's ills were no doubt was relatable during war times, and is certainly relatable now.
After giving his speech - one that Ann personally wrote, and not the fancy PR guy - he runs away, feeling conflicted about being the vision of hope that people are looking for. But eventually he returns, and the John Doe philosophy of "be a better neighbor" slogan develops into a grassroots movement, and clubs are formed across the country. Seeing the success of this movement, the newspaper publisher instructs Ann to write a speech for John, announcing a new political party, and the publisher as its candidate for president. During a rally, John denounces the party, and publisher, only to be silenced when the publisher kills the mic, and announces to the crowd that John Doe is a fake.
His followers become angry, and a desperate John now really does want to commit suicide on Christmas Eve, on the roof of the newspaper building. Ann, who has fallen in love with John tries to talk him out of it. Meanwhile, others who still believe in John and his message, rally the clubs to support John in his time of need. Club members go to the spot where John is ready to take his life, and convince him that he is the real deal, and his message needs to continue.
I honestly feel like this movie needs to be played on every TV station 24/7 nowadays, until people actually understand the message of love, hope, and acceptance John gives the world. The world has always needed and will always need John Doe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Meet John Doe (1941)
I have a confession to make: I had recorded this movie a very long time before I ever watched it. The title and description just didn't ...
-
This is a good movie - if you can follow it. It's a simple enough story, but packed with he said/he said/she said - and nobody can reall...
-
The Captive City was a great fast-paced crime movie based on the real-life Kefauver Committee Hearings to take down organized crime. The mov...
-
This movie can and should be watched by all today! Spencer Tracy plays Grant Matthews, a successful business man who is recruited by his g...
No comments:
Post a Comment