Why didn't I watch this gem sooner??? That was the question I asked myself as I watched Cary Grant (Walter Burns) and Rosalind Russell (Hildy Johnson).
Having seen Russell in two other amazing movies (Night Must call, 1937; and The Women, 1939), I have to say that I think her talent was overshadowed before. I had no idea that she would be able to match the quick, snappy dialogue and physical comedy for which Grant is known.
Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell play ex-spouses and ex-coworkers as Hildy was the ace reporter to Walter's newspaper editor. Hildy returns to the office, to much applause and adoration of her colleagues to tell Walter of her upcoming nuptials. Walter then tries every trick in the book to stop her from remarrying, and stop her from leaving the business. Hildy naturally refuses all attempts made by Walter...until she gets a news story she cannot let go, when a convicted murderer (unfairly tried and convicted) is up for execution.
Watching this with now I can appreciate that Hildy was working in a male-dominated world. Because of this, I actually question the title of the movie, because Hildy was certainly not a Girl Friday. Russell plays the role of a woman in a male dominated world flawlessly. Watching so many classic movies one can become accustomed to stunningly beautiful women floating around in the most luxurious gowns, night dresses, and every day wear. Russell's Hildy Johnson was a breath of fresh air, as she stomped throughout the movie, her physical character embodying that of a woman working amongst men. Every single movement and mannerism from Russell was perfectly suited to the ace reporter.
It's clear from early on in the movie that Hildy and Walter are meant to be together. And while we feel bad for the ill-suited fiancé, and don't necessarily agree with the shadier ploys Walter executes, we know this is all for the greater good; and we cheer Hildy on as she works all of her reporting skills and influences to help the man who should not be hanged; and we cheer on Walter as through all the chaos he tries to achieve his one goal - getting Hildy back.
It's a thoroughly enjoyable movie from beginning to end, and one I will want to watch again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Meet John Doe (1941)
I have a confession to make: I had recorded this movie a very long time before I ever watched it. The title and description just didn't ...
-
This is a good movie - if you can follow it. It's a simple enough story, but packed with he said/he said/she said - and nobody can reall...
-
The Captive City was a great fast-paced crime movie based on the real-life Kefauver Committee Hearings to take down organized crime. The mov...
-
This movie can and should be watched by all today! Spencer Tracy plays Grant Matthews, a successful business man who is recruited by his g...
No comments:
Post a Comment