Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Undercurrent (1946)

Despite the mediocre ratings on IMDB for this film, I was looking forward to watching this "all-star cast" of a movie. And personally, I was not disappointed.

Ann Hamilton (played by Katharine Hepburn) is a middle-aged bride who begins to suspect that her charming husband Alan Garroway (Robert Taylor) plans to murder her. Neither can she ignore her brother-in-law, Michael Garroway (Robert Mitchum), whom she has never met, but has been told so much about.

The (unfair) criticism of this movie, is that Hepburn and Mitchum are cast against-type; Hepburn playing the homely-come-pretty, naïve wife, and Mitchum playing the unassuming good guy. But to those criticism I say this: all of us fans of classic movies have the unique benefit of hindsight. We already know all of the roles these actors played in their careers; and personally we know what we know of these actors because they have already lived their lives (and are no longer with us). So you can't say that this is against type, when (at least perhaps for Mitchum) that "type" hadn't yet been solidified. Additionally, isn't it a good thing that we see actors play outside of their typical roles? This is acting after all! Some people feel that Joan Crawford or Bette Davis would have been better suited for the role that Hepburn. Davis I can totally see in the role. Crawford (sorry, I love you, but) no. It definitely required the acting chops of someone that could take the character of a middle-aged, naïve woman, convincingly dressed in plain clothes, to a Cinderella of a wife, with the hair, make-up, and gowns, who eventually gets wise to her no-good groom. Those are roles made for Hepburn and Davis.

The other criticism is that the movie is formulaic: domineering husband tries to control wife, who is completely unsure of herself until the very end. Yes, there are other movies that have used this formula to produce far superior movies, but that doesn't mean this one isn't worth the watch. Mitchum and Hepburn playing against-type is reason enough alone, because they actually pull off the characters very well!

As Ann is getting to know her new husband, he has sporadic violet tempers - especially when it comes to mentioning his brother Michael, who he claims is a terrible, horrible human being. Alan says is brother stole money, and was actually the violent one in the family. Ann becomes obsessed with learning about Michael, and we the viewer get to go along on her journey for knowledge. While it's never really explained why she becomes obsessed, I can only surmise that Ann subconsciously knows it is the key to getting to know the real man she married. We (and Ann) learn things about Michael, and eventually get to meet him. It becomes clear to us that the quiet, nature loving, poetry reading, kind soul that Michael is, is really who Ann should be with. And Alan, probably realizes that too, as he spirals out of control and tries to run her and her horse off a cliff near Michael's ranch.

My favourite part of film noirs (if I haven't said this already) is the shocking twist at the end. And while Ann fights for her life on that Cliffside, Alan looses control of his horse and is stomped to death. Due to the shocking nature of this scene, and the fact that nothing graphic is ever shown in these old movies, I immediately had to rewind it and watch it again. The pace was that quick; the surprise that satisfying.

As Alan's now- rich widow, Ann now gets to live her life as she chooses; and she gives back all the money and power that Alan stole from Michael and others in his life. It's a happy ending, which does sometimes happens in noirs, but it was fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet John Doe (1941)

I have a confession to make: I had recorded this movie a very long time before I ever watched it. The title and description just didn't ...